With the early retirement of Santa Monica College trustee David Finkel at the Jan. 14 Board of Trustees meeting, the college is now seeking applications from district residents interested in being appointed to his vacant seat.
This position on the Board of Trustees will run through the next regularly scheduled Board election in November 2014 when a new four-year term will be filled.
The seven-member Board of Trustees, elected by voters in the Santa Monica Community College District, is the governing body for Santa Monica College, which serves approximately 33,000 students and provides vital educational services to communities in the region.
The Santa Monica Community College District encompasses Santa Monica and Malibu.
To be eligible, an individual must be at least 18 years old, must be a resident of the Santa Monica Community College District, must be a registered voter, and must not be disqualified from holding civil office by the Constitution or any law of the state.
The Board is seeking candidates who have the ability and time to fulfill the responsibilities of being a trustee, which include:
• Participating fully in the work of the Board, including attending all meetings and some college events, studying issues and agenda items, and participating in trustee education programs.
• Being knowledgeable about the communities served by the college and be willing to act on behalf of and for the benefit of those communities.
• Being committed to community colleges and their missions, as well as understanding educational, social and economic policy issues.
• Engaging in balancing the needs of a variety of diverse groups and being able to build consensus.
• Hiring the Superintendent/President.
• Ensuring the fiscal health and sustainability of the college.
• Participating as one member of the Board and supporting the Board’s authority as a whole.
Regular meetings of the Board of Trustees are scheduled on the first Tuesday of each month and are held in the Board Room (Business Building Room 117) at 7 pm (5:30 pm if there is a closed session scheduled).
Following are possible criteria that the Board of Trustees will use to select an appointee:
• Interest in and commitment to service to the community;
• Interest in and commitment to public education and student learning;
• Knowledge about and commitment to the role and mission of community colleges in the communities they serve and in the context of all higher education;
• Willingness and ability to represent those who live in the service area, mindful of the perspectives of diverse constituencies;
• Willingness to advocate the District and its interests to the community and state;
• Knowledge and background related to the issues considered by the Board (e.g. community needs, funding, education, district operations);
• Ability to work as a member of a public governing Board; understands that the Board, not the individual trustees, has authority;
• Ability to articulately express perspectives and respect the perspectives of others;
• Willingness to work cooperatively with others and in partnership with the Superintendent/President;
• Time and energy necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of being a trustee;
• Willingness and time to engage in ongoing professional development;
• Commitment to fulfill the ethical and legal responsibilities of trusteeship, unencumbered by private agendas; and/or
• Qualities, background, and stature that will enhance the standing of the District in the community.
Application materials can be found by following a link on the SMC home page (www.smc.edu) under Hot Topics to the Board Vacancy page. Applications (hard copy or electronic) must be received by Jan. 24, 2014 at 5 pm to:
The Office of the Board of Trustees
Santa Monica College
Mail: 1900 Pico Blvd.
Via Email to: ROSE_LISA@smc.edu
Hand Deliver: 2714 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405
Appointment to Fill Vacancy
The Board will make the appointment at its regular meeting on Feb. 4, 2014. For further information, contact the SMC District Office at 310.434.4402.
Copyright © 2011 by Santa Monica Mirror. All rights reserved.