Saint John’s Health Center has once again been recognized by
Healthgrades for overall excellence in cardiac care, orthopedics, critical care
and women’s health. Additionally, new to Healthgrades this year, Saint John’s
has been recognized for both neuroscience and gastrointestinal care.
“It takes hard work and dedication from our physicians,
nurses and staff to continue to provide such a high level of care to our
patients,” said Michael L. Wall, Acting President and CEO of Saint John’s
Health Center. “It is great to see our efforts recognized by such a reputable
source year after year.”
Healthgrades is the leading online resource that helps
consumers search, compare and connect with physicians and hospitals. Saint
John’s achievements were released with other new findings in American Hospital
Quality Outcomes 2014: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, which evaluates
hospital performance at over 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most
common inpatient procedures and conditions.
The new report highlights the disparity in hospital
performance for specific conditions and procedures and the impact that this
variation may have on health outcomes.
For example, from 2010-2012, if all
hospitals as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a
group, on average 234,252 lives could potentially have been saved and 157,418
complications could potentially have been avoided.
A 5-star rating indicates
that Saint John’s clinical outcomes are better than expected when treating the
condition or conducting the procedure being evaluated.
Healthgrades recognized that Saint John’s not only performs at a 5 star level –
it outperforms other hospitals in the nation in this condition, and as a result
has been recognized with the 2014 Healthgrades Specialty Excellence Awards.
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40
million Medicare-patient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care
hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 31
common conditions and procedures.
Healthgrades awards hospitals quality achievements for cohort-specific
performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality.
Saint John’s Healthgrades Awards released this fall:
· Patient Safety Excellence Award (2009-2013)
· Top 5% in Nation for Patient Safety for 2013
America’s Best 100 Hospitals:
· 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care (2012-2014)
· 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery (2014)
· 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention (2012-2014)
· 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement (2013-2014)
· Cardiac Care Excellence Award (2010-2014)
· Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award (2013-2014)
· Coronary Intervention Excellence Award (2010-2014)
· Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services
· Top 5% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional
· Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery (2013-2014)
· Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services (2009-2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery (2013-2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack
· Joint Replacement Excellence Award (2012-2014)
· Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement (2012-2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement (2011-2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement (2012-2014)
· Neurosurgery Excellence Award (2014)
· Top 10% in the Nation for Neurosurgery (2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Neurosurgery (2014)
· General Surgery Excellence Award (2014)
· Top 10% in the Nation for General Surgery (2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of GI Bleed (2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis (2004-2014)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure
· Women’s Health Excellence Award (2010/2011 and 2011-2013)
· Top 10% in the Nation for Women’s Health (2010/2011 and
· Five-Star Recipient for Women’s Health (2010/2011 and
Copyright © 2011 by Santa Monica Mirror. All rights reserved.