St. Monica Mariners Football Fall To St. Anthony 33-27

St. Monica goes scoreless in second half in Santa Fe League defeat

Sunday, 27 Oct 2013, 11:16:00 AM

Dennis Freeman

It’s been a

tough season for the St. Monica football team. Friday night against Santa Fe

League foe St. Anthony, the Mariners saw their tough luck season magnified at

Santa Monica College.

St. Monica

scored 27 first half points and still would up on the short end of the stick,

going down in defeat to St. Anthony, 33-27.

The Mariners

put seven points in the first quarter and added another 20 in the second period.

However, that would be the end of the scoring spree for St. Monica for the

evening as the Mariners were held scoreless by the Saints through the last two

quarters in suffering their sixth defeat of the season.   

St. Monica

concludes the regular season against Salesian in a final league matchup at

Santa Monica College.  But this loss will

probably will stay will the Mariners for a while.


after St. Anthony scored the game’s first touchdown of the game, the Mariners

stormed right back with a score of their own when Jack Cain returned the

kickoff 80 yards to the house. The scoring flip flop between the two teams had

just begun.

St. Anthony

got another score to end the first quarter with a 13-7 lead. But the Mariners

answered the call this time with another Cain score-an 18-yard touchdown pass

reception from Cameron Nuslein. Following another Saints’ score, St. Monica

actually took the lead with two straight possessions that resulted in



connected with again with Cain for another touchdown through the air-this time

from 25 yards out to put the Mariners up for a single point. A 20-yard

touchdown run by Jason Thomas and subsequent converted point after attempt gave

St. Monica a 27-19 lead.


celebration would be short-lived. St. Anthony then scored another touchdown

with less than a minute left in the first half to pull within 27-25 at

intermission. The third quarter was a matter of the two teams’ defense’ locking

up one another’s offenses. St. Monica failed to anything on its two offensive

series in the quarter.

The score

remained that way until late in the fourth quarter when St. Anthony broke

through to score a touchdown and two-point conversion to go up 33-27. The Mariners had one more punch left. St.

Monica moved all the way down to inside St. Anthony’s redzone but  came away empty.

Copyright © 2011 by Santa Monica Mirror. All rights reserved.