Major Big Blue Bus Service Changes Begin Next Weekend
Sunday, 9 Jun 2013, 9:48:00 AM
Courtesy of Big Blue Bus
A Santa Monica bus.
The annual June Big Blue Bus service change begins next Sunday, June 16 and Monday, June 17. Updates will take effect to streamline service, reduce overcrowding, improve timeliness and help commuters get to where they need to go.
- Trip cancellation: Weekday trip departing at 9:54am from Venice Blvd. at Walgrove Ave. to Santa Monica Blvd. at 4th St. will no longer operate. Trips leaving that stop at 9:39am or 10:09am will still be available to you.
Routes 2 & 3
- Bus stop removal: Stop on northbound 4th St. at Civic Center Way (mid-block) will no longer be in service. Instead, board at 4th St. at Pico Blvd.
- Summer only: Additional evening trips from Santa Monica to Green Line Station, Thursday through Sunday only.
- Weekday trip cancellations going towards Green Line Station:
- Trip departing at 3:23pm from eastbound 4th St. at Civic Center Way will no longer operate. Trips leaving that stop at 3:15pm or 3:31pm will still be available.
- Trip departing at 5:09pm from Arizona Ave. at 5th St. will no longer operate. Trips leaving 4th St. at Santa Monica Blvd. at 5:02 or 5:17pm will still be available.
- New bus stop: Will now serve Lincoln Blvd. at Mindanao Way in both directions.
- Route and schedule changes:
- Will no longer serve the VA’s North Campus in both directions. Buses departing from Santa Monica heading towards the Westside Pavilion will remain on San Vicente Blvd. and no longer travel on Montana Ave. to Bringham St.
- Eastbound stops on Montana Ave. at Barrington Ave., and Eisenhower Ave. at Dewey Ave., Bldg. 217, Bldg. 218 and Bonsall Ave. will no longer operate.
- Westbound stops on Eisenhower Ave. at Bonsall Ave., Bldg. 218, Bldg. 217, Dewey Ave. and VA Westgate will no longer operate.
- New bus stops: Will now serve eastbound San Vicente Blvd. at Montana Ave. (before the intersection), San Vicente Blvd. at Barrington Ave. (before the intersection) and San Vicente Blvd. at Mayfield Ave. (after the intersection).
Routes 4 & 9
- Minor route and schedules changes: Weekday buses heading towards Downtown Santa Monica (Civic Center) will now use the weekend routing. Buses traveling southbound on 4th St. will now make a right on Colorado Ave., left on Main St., left on Olympic Blvd. to Avenida Mazatlan.
- Bus stop removals: Stops on southbound 4th St. at Civic Center Way, westbound Pico Blvd. at 4th St. and northbound Main St. at Pico Blvd. will no longer be in service. Instead, disembark on 4th St. at Santa Monica Place or Olympic Blvd. at Avenida Mazatlan.
- Will not operate during the summer beginning Wednesday, June 12 and will resume service on Monday, August 26.
- Weekday schedule changes: Will now operate every 12 minutes during peak hours from approximately 6:30 am to 6:30 pm to increase frequency and reduce overcrowding. The span of service will continue to be from approximately 5:00 am to 12:30 am.
- Weekend schedule changes: Minor adjustments to Saturday and Sunday schedules.
- Bus stop removal: The Rimpau Transit Center stop will no longer operate in both directions. Instead, riders going westbound can board at Pico Blvd. at Mullen Ave. and eastbound at Pico Blvd. at San Vicente Blvd.
- Schedule changes: Weekday schedule will now operate every 12 minutes during peak hours from approximately 6:30 am to 6:00 pm instead of current schedule of every 15 minutes to increase frequency and reduce overcrowding. The span of service will continue to be from approximately 5:30 am to 11:00 pm.
- Trip cancellation: SMC Express trip at 6:30 am from Union Station will not operate during the summer.
- Trip cancellations: Weekday trips departing northbound Robertson Blvd. at Venice Blvd. at 7:45 am, 7:59 am, 9:17 am and 9:32 am will no longer operate. Trips leaving that stop at 7:48 am, 8:03 am, 9:21 am and 9:36 am will still be available.
- New trip added: Afternoon trip departing northbound Robertson Blvd. at Venice Blvd. at 3:18 pm will now be available.
- Schedule changes: Will now operate every 30 minutes from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. The span of service will continue to be from approximately 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
For more information call 310.451.5444 or visit bigbluebus.com.
Copyright © 2011 by Santa Monica Mirror. All rights reserved.