High: 71 F, Low: 62 F
High: 71 F, Low: 63 F
High: 72 F, Low: 62 F
High: 72 F, Low: 63 F
High: 72 F, Low: 63 F
Santa Monica College To Host Campus Sustainability Week Oct. 22-26
Posted Oct. 11, 2012, 7:39 am
Mitch James / Mirror Contributor
Santa Monica College will host an expanded Campus Sustainability Week from Oct. 22-26 with activities that range from “Food Day” to a panel on plastics pollution -- all designed to raise awareness of environmental problems and solutions.
The events over the six days are all free and all on the SMC Main Campus, 1900 Pico Blvd., except the Beach Cleanup:
• Monday, Oct. 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: “Last Chance! Voter Registration Grand Finale.” Monday, Oct. 22 is the deadline to register to vote for the Nov. 6 general election. Library Walkway.
• Tuesday, Oct. 23 from 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: “Food Day,” a national day of action for healthy, affordable, sustainable food. Participants can enjoy delicious food and find out how to take action for a better food system. The Quad.
• Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: “Ditch the Disposable!” Information will be given about the dangers of disposables and eco-friendly alternatives. Students with SMC Associated Students stickers will be given a free reusable water bottle, coffee mug or bag. The Quad.
• Thursday, Oct. 25 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Plastics Pollution Panel. Panel discussion by distinguished scientists and activists on the issues of plastics and the environment. Theatre Arts Main Stage.
• Thursday, Oct. 25 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: SMC Center for Environmental and Urban Studies Open House. Food, drink and merriment will be served up at SMC’s living laboratory for sustainability, where participants can learn about environmental best practices. The center is located at 1744 Pearl St., Santa Monica.
• Friday, Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Beach Cleanup. The SMC EcoAction Club, in partnership with Heal the Bay and Sustainable Works, will host a beach cleanup at Lifeguard Tower 18 in Santa Monica as part of its annual Adopt-a-Beach commitment.
Campus Sustainability Week is sponsored by the SMC Center for Environmental Studies, SMC Associated Students, SMC EcoAction Club, SMC Global Citizenship Food Justice Project, and SMC Associates, a private organization that funds speakers and special programs on campus.
For information, call 310.434.3909.