The Beach Gourmet
10 Top Tips For Tastes in’ 10
Posted Jan. 7, 2010, 4:00 am
Here we are in the “tens” and Santa Monicans have more “ten”pting places to eat than ever.
1) Golden Mean. This vegan eatery specializes in super-tasty recipes that will delight and satisfy. Try the Golden Corn Chowder and Black Bean Soup, the Middle East Wrap, or their fantastic Rustic Fibonacci Cornmeal Crust Pizza served with a fresh salad. Oh, and did I mention the shakes? They certainly are golden, for sure. 1028 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401 310.393.6500.
2) Vito’s. Ever wanted a “Godfather” style dining experience? Fine Italian cuisine, an authentic ambience, a super-cool bar, straight from the movies, and some of the best veal to be had anywhere, plus a Tiramisu to live for. Leave your violin case at the door, please! 2807 Ocean Park Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405. 310.450.4999
3) The Fig at The Fairmont Miramar. Fancy cocktails, fine wines, excellent steaks with blue cheese butter on top, and a delightful environment will make you feel very special indeed. Great for that special treat. 101 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401. 310.576.7777
4) Lares Mexican Restaurant. Amazing Mexican dishes are served here, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The weekends are fun, with the resident Mariachi duo doing their thing from table to table. Good value too! 2909 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405. 310.829.4550
5) Rustic Canyon. The dishes here are superb. Seasonal cooking with flair, and with some of the best wines, by the glass, half-bottle, and bottle, you will not be disappointed. 1119 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401 310.393.7050
6) Ye Olde Kings Head. Award winning fish & chips, chicken tikka masala, great beers, phenomenal breakfasts, and lots of cheer, still make this an essential Santa Monica attraction. 116 Santa Monica Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401 310.451.1402
7) Melisse. This restaurant serves the best French cuisine in the area. Expect to drop around a couple of hundred bucks per person here for the tasting menu, with wine and tip. Need I say more? 1104 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401310.395.0881
8) Agra Indian Kitchen. This fairly new addition to Indian options on the Westside is amazing. It’s small, it’s simple, but the food is something else. Great value, great service, and a great attitude. They’ll curry favor with you for sure. 2553 Lincoln Blvd _Venice, CA 90291. 310.827.0050
9) Rae’s Restaurant. Want a no frills diner experience with that “time travel feel?” Look no further. Rae’s will deliver, along with old time surfer photographs, and incomparable biscuits and gravy. Gee willickers? 2901 Pico Boulevard Santa Monica, CA 90405. 310.828.7937
10) Cheng Du. Probably the best value Chinese restaurant on the Westside. Huge portions, an eye on healthy cooking, some great vegetarian options, and a desire to please the diner make this essential. Try their bargain lunches, and save! 11538 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064. 310.477.4917