Email List

To join our e-mail list, please enter your e-mail address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Shows

Sections

Classifieds

Directories

Contact

News, Santa Monica, Courts

Sentencing Postponed Until January 18 For Carpenter's 1998 Murder Of A German Tourist

Paul Edmond Carpenter, 34, is convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of German tourist, Horst Fietze, 52.
FBI
Paul Edmond Carpenter, 34, is convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of German tourist, Horst Fietze, 52.

Posted Dec. 1, 2011, 1:16 am

Mirror Staff

Paul Edmond Carpenter, the man convicted in the 1998 Santa Monica shooting death of a German tourist during a botched robbery near a beachfront hotel, has had his sentencing date postponed to Jan. 18.

Sentencing was originally scheduled to be handed down yesterday.

Carpenter, 34, was convicted on Oct. 24 at the LAX branch courthouse for the first-degree murder of 52-year-old Horst Fietze, a tourist who had been visiting California from Germany with a group of friends.

Los Angeles Superior Court jurors deliberated for a day and a half before delivering the guilty verdict.

The jury also found true a special circumstance allegation of murder during the course of a robbery that took place near Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel.

Deputy District Attorney Robert Grace of the Major Crimes Division said Carpenter was additionally convicted of three counts of attempted second-degree robbery with a principal armed allegation found to be true.

Carpenter faces a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Carpenter, a U.S. citizen, was arrested in Jamaica where he had been living and working for several years using false identification. Jamaican authorities deported Carpenter to the U.S. in 2009 to stand trial for his crimes.

The victim had been visiting California with a group of friends when Carpenter, his girlfriend and two others attempted to rob the group in Santa Monica on Oct. 12, 1998. Fietze was fatally shot during the robbery.

Roshana Latiesha Roberts, 31, Lamont Dion Santos, 33, and Tyrina Lakeisha Griffin, 30, were convicted in 2001 in connection with the crimes.

Carpenter was successfully returned to Los Angeles County to face prosecution as a result of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the United States Marshals Service, the Jamaican Constabulary Force, and the Santa Monica Police Department.

Post a comment

Comments

Dec. 3, 2011, 9:28:28 am

John Doe III said...

I was only 18 and still living back in my home state, in a land far far away from California, when I heard about this incident. I remember it was huge news--especially bad for L.A.'s image; if you get killed as a tourist in well-off, beach-front Santa Monica, then L.A. for sure had a long way to go to win back America's, as well as, the world's trust. Of course, it has won back the people's trust--well, for the most part. Now you have TMZ instead of Cops to broadcast all things L.A. (TMZ still being bad publicity in my honest opinion). However, you still have pockets of people all around the country who badmouth L.A., making it seem like the gang infestation still exists. This is good closure--and good riddance.

SM Mirror TV