Registration Begins For Police Activities League's Charity Golf And Tennis Classic
Posted Apr. 3, 2012, 2:06 am
The Santa Monica Police Activities League’s annual Charity Golf & Tennis Classic is fast approaching and golfers and tennis players are encouraged to register to secure a spot for their team.
To be held on Monday, June 11, all proceeds from the event will raise funds for educational scholarships, arts enrichment, physical fitness, and healthy living programs.
The event is scheduled to be hosted by James Worthy – the Los Angeles Lakers legend voted as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.
Each year, hundreds of police officers, their supporters, and children participate at the fundraiser held at the prestigious MountainGate Country Club in Los Angeles.
The Santa Monica Police Activities League (PAL) is a free drop-in center that fosters trust between youth and the men and women of the Santa Monica Police Department in a safe and nurturing environment.
Programs at Santa Monica PAL are free of charge and available to youth aged 6 to 17 that live or attend school in Santa Monica.
Proceeds benefit the Santa Monica PAL community center programs such as college preparatory classes, homework assistance, computer enrichment, scholarships, culinary arts education, artist-in-residence programs, nutrition workshops, fitness activities, and fitness supplies.
The day begins with golf registration followed by a four-person scramble format. After lunch, tennis warm-up and play begins.
Youth from the center also participate in the day’s activities.
A silent auction is held throughout the day culminating in dinner, live auction, and award ceremony featuring seven-time NBA All-Star and three-time NBA Champion James Worthy and former Santa Monica Police Chief Timothy J. Jackman.
The allocation of golf and tennis funds go towards:
PAL Educational Component:
• Supports the Chris Carrey PAL Education Fund by providing scholarships.
• Supports the Rick Crocker Memorial Fund by providing college preparation studies.
• Funds materials and supplies for K – 8 educational programs; provides homework assistance and computer enrichment.
PAL Arts Enrichment Component:
• Supports the Fred Deni Culinary Arts Program by providing education and new career opportunities.
• Provides stipends for artist-in-residence programs.
• Assists with fees for contractual arts programs that include painting, dance, and music.
PAL Physical Fitness/Healthy Living Component:
• Fitness activities include water sports, bicycling, and running.
• Continue focus on nutrition classes and workshops.
• Continue to fund fitness equipment, required apparel for children (shoes, shirts), and stipends for class instructors.
Golf foursomes and tennis spots are available by calling the PAL office at 310.458.8988. For more information, log on to http://www01.smgov.net/hsd/pal.htm.