Who Wants To Look Seven Years Younger Without Cosmetic Surgery?
Posted Sep. 3, 2013, 9:07 am
Barbara Bishop / Hot Flash Columnist
Who doesn’t want to look seven years younger with or without surgery? I am not against a little nip and tuck here and there, but the majority of face-lifts in Los Angeles scare the crap out of me.
I don’t want my eyes to look stretched, or my hairline to be moved, or my jaw line to have that tell-tale “pulled back behind my ears” (that have also been moved) look either. Now, before I start getting letters from all the plastic surgeons who live here, and I know a quite a few of you, I do know that there are some that do amazing work, with none of the tell-tale signs (please do drop me an e-mail if you are one of those!).
And, looking younger in the face is a small part of looking younger. I consulted my Go-To-Gay Stylist to the Stars, Colin Magaro, for the top things you can do to achieve an overall younger look without turning to surgery.
Colin recommends the following:
1. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Drink lots of water. Our bodies are made up of mostly water. Not only does drinking it keep you full, it hydrates the skin, and gives you energy. Colin also recommends, replace your soft drinks with water – NOW! Okay, okay, I am going!
2. Institute a regular skin care regime. Aim for flawless skin. Get facials once a month. Stay out of the sun and use a good sunscreen. Wash your face at least two times a day, once in the morning, and once at night. Never sleep with your make-up on. Use a high-quality, hydrating eye cream and moisturizer. I have this one covered.
There’s nothing more “older looking” than a woman with deep wrinkles and skin beyond her years from being out in the sun too much, drinking too much, not getting enough sleep, yada, yada, yada. Stuff your mother told you was gonna happen did. Glad I listened.
3. Get a custom bra fitting – Colin insists, if “the girls are high,” you will always look younger. He mentioned boobs the last time I talked to him. Hmmm, maybe he’s not so gay after all.
4. Age-appropriate clothes – Colin recommends that you only wear color on the top half of your body. Wear what looks good on you, and choose items that flatter your “younger-looking” assets. Don’t just go for the style of the moment, especially if it does not fit your body. Think about women who try to look younger by squeezing into teen-age styles. They don’t look younger, they look older and stupid.
5. Make up – Use colors that are fresh, but still age appropriate. You can look older by applying too much makeup, and look younger by using makeup that makes you look dewy and glowing, smoothly corrects flaws and does not look heavy. I would stay away from the blue eye shadow and stick with neutrals, very classic and understated, like Orgasm from NARS!
6. Shoes – Colin swears by higher heels. He says they make your legs leaner, add height, and make you stand up straighter. I bet Colin never wears these puppies. They hurt! But I still love them. This year, the sexy pointed-toe high heel is finally back. Yey! So I’ll look good in them for 15 minutes, until they start to hurt. It’s a start.
7. Diet – Another thing that adds age to women instantly is being overweight. Make a commitment to be a healthy weight for your body-type. You don’t have to model-thin to look fit and sexy and younger. I’m working on it.
8. Exercise – Goes with the territory. Exercise is the key to growing older gracefully. You’ll be fit, energized, active, happier. You’ll avoid injury and even help to heal current injuries. You might even live longer. Walking just half an hour a day (so my trainer tells me) makes a big difference. Now I have the bug. Weight training, walking, hiking, yoga. Who knew?
9. Sleep – Please remember that sleep is a regenerating activity, and doctors recommend at least eight hours a night. I know when I don’t get enough sleep I look and feel like crap. My eyes get red and swollen and I drag along for the rest of the day. When I do, it makes so much of a difference – bigger eyes, brighter skin, not as bitchy.
10. Smile! One of the simplest things in life that will brighten your whole being is to smile. A beautiful, joyful smile is ageless! I am smiling now! :)
Hot Flash Universe is the go-to source for
women over 40 looking for insight into the hottest, most current trends,
products, and issues. Topics are approached with candor, intellect, and
a healthy dose of humor. We search for the best Santa Monica has to
offer for women of any age to be sexy, smart, and savvy.
Barbara Bishop is President of Santa Monica-based BBPR, Inc. For comments or suggestions, email Barbara.email@example.com.